Thursday, June 17, 2010

DIY Russian Stacking Dolls

my little matroyshkas

this is my morning view now :(

As some of you may remember, I love Russian stacking dolls and have had previous posts about them. Unfortunately I don't have too many of them because they can be pricey, especially if they are vintage. So, the other day I was in Hobby Lobby and happened to look down the unfinished wood section when lo and behold, they had one set of "paint it yourself" stacking dolls. They were only 6.99, but I had a 40 % off coupon, so they ended up costing around 4.00! Nice!
I have been painting them over the last few days and realized that it is pretty time consuming to decorate all 6 of them. I finished them today and think that they look nice and festive and want to buy more blank sets to make as Christmas gifts. I am sure that it will get a little easier to paint the more I practice as I found it challenging to put the little details on the faces of the smaller the dolls.
I had no idea how they would come out as I rarely paint, but I have enjoyed doing it and look forward to doing it again!
and...I have been doing the Leslie Sansone 4 quick Miles dvd in my nicely air conditioned house so I have no fun pictures of morning walks to share :(

5 comments:

  1. WOW! You painted those, you did a great job!
    I really miss your photos from your morning walks, but I understand not wanting to be out in the hot, hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the stacking dolls! I'll have to take a look at Hobby Lobby and see if I can find some. You did a great job painting them.

    Thanks for hopping over to my blog. I should tell you that I do have an air-conditioner; I'm just trying to be frugal by not turning it on. It does cool off nicely in the evenings here and tomorrow won't be so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dolls are wonderful. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I think I'll look for some at our craft store! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete