Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Little Bungalow







When we purchased our home in Gadsden, Alabama 2 years ago, we fell in love with the huge front porch which runs the entire width of our house. We wondered what architectural style it was and began to look up old house pictures on the internet. We figured that it was the closest to the Bungalow style which was very popular in the early 1900's. ( our home was built in 1913) We looked up the definition of the word and found:
A bungalow is a type of single-story house that originated in India. The word derives from the Hindi baṅglā (or perhaps the Gujarati variant baṅglo), meaning "Bengali", used elliptically for a "house in the Bengal style".[1] Such houses were traditionally small, only one story and thatched, and had a wide veranda.[2]
Our house is the one on top, the other four were images from a google search on Bungalows.
I find that each picture evokes a feeling of home and coziness and I bet the insides have tons of character to them!! Sometimes I will take the long way home from the grocery store just so I can drive by the similar style homes in our neighborhood. I have been known for taking the "scenic route" on my little journeys around town! Well, I look at it as smelling the roses along they way! Smell some roses today!

2 comments:

  1. Your house is beautiful! I love the front porch. I wish I could have a house like this. Maybe on day!

    Take care,

    Lolo :-)

    ReplyDelete