Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy July 3rd!



Today, we celebrated my daughter Jenny's birthday with a gathering of friends and family. First we went to downtown Birmingham to eat at our favorite Indian restaurant, Taj, with my Daughter Christina, her hubby Suj and their adorable boy ( my grandbaby!) Kavi! We all LOVE Indian food, and thank the Lord for Suj marrying into the family and exposing us to the flavors and scents of this exotic cuisine! It is a LITTLE spicy, and too spicy for some, but I think it has just the right amount of heat to accent the flavor of the food.
Then after a little browsing at an antique shop near the restaurant we headed back home to have a gathering at our house for Jenny's 27th! We had decorated the night before with some Martha Stewart tissue flowers that I had picked up at Walmart, and a "Happy Birthday"' banner I had made while anxiously awaiting the arrival of Kavi and fam who were driving from Florida!
I confirmed a fact about myself that I already pretty much knew; that I have NO patience for the certain types of handiwork that Martha seems to thrive on! Just folding and pulling apart the tissue pieces to make the "hangy balls" drove me crazy! I mean why are there soooo many pieces of tissue? Meanwhile, Jenny herself, Christina and Rachel all painstakingly pulled the tissue paper apart resulting in lovely blooms, while MINE looked liked bar-bells when I was done! I just squished the pieces together to somewhat resemble a sort of circley thing and hung it in the dining room! You can probably pick my thorn among roses out in the pics!
Well, it was a fun day with some of my favorite people in the whole world!

3 comments:

  1. I love the tissue paper flowers! I have been wanting to try making them for quite some time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog ..you are welcome anytime...GRANMA!....you don't look old enough

    ReplyDelete