Friday, June 5, 2009

Retro Kitchens; Reflections from my childhood

Yesterday, I found some really cute vintage kitchen pictures on Google and thought I would share them with you. For some reason I just love the colors and style of these old time kitchens and prefer their styles to modern ones. Of course, I do want modern appliances and convenience, but I love the cozy nature of the 40's and 50's. Perhaps I am trying to recapture a more pleasant version of my youth, since I was born in the late 50's and my mother's home had a pink and black bathroom and 50's style chrome dinette. I might also mention that back then money was short and my mom had some issues so the house was in dis-repair as was my Grandpa's house in Little Meadows Pennsylvania where I lived for three
years. His home was out in the country and had a big front porch with a beautiful view. Because of heating and cooling problems with the house, he had completely closed off the second floor. The funny thing was that there was where the nicer furniture and lamps and wallpaper was, while the downstairs had unfinished drywall in every room that had yellowed over the years, and rather sparse furnishings. So.....I guess Grandpa had some issues as well!

During that time I read a lot of kids books with those colorful illustrations of happy kitchens with delightful looking cakes and berries and overstuffed chairs with a momma bunny knitting and I guess I imagined myself in those pictures. When I was around 8 years old I got a hold of a "1001 Decorating Ideas" magazine and constantly flipped through the pages amazed at all the pretty rooms.

I am very thankful to God for giving me a wonderful husband and kids and grandson and a very happy life. I now live in a home that reflects my personality without having cost a fortune.
So....enjoy the pictures. (my kitchen is the bottom right picture!)

3 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures you found!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is the BEST!! I just bought a quart of a color similar to your wall color because I NEED more of that robin's egg blue kind of color in my life!!
    Blessings~LillySue

    ReplyDelete