Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer Survival Iced Coffee


Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee

With thanks to the New York Times and a bunch of web sites.

2/3 cup ground coffee
3 cups cold water, plus more for finishing
Ice cubes
Whatever you take in your coffee

Place the ground coffee in a pitcher or bowl. Cover with 3 cups water. Let stand at room temperature for 12 hours or overnight.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain the coffee into a small bottle or pitcher. (Here is where I split with the other sources. Some suggest a double-straining method, using a sieve and then a coffee filter or cheesecloth to get the last bits of ground coffee. A single straining works fine for me, because any ground coffee left in the mix will settle to the bottom and can be avoided. Up to you.)
Refrigerate the mix until you need it. To use it, pour equal amounts coffee and water over ice. (Use less water if you like, but remember that the coffee mixture is very strong.) If you really want to get fancy, you could also make a batch of ice cubes out of it, but that's more trouble than I can handle in summer.
Add whatever you need (while I usually drink coffee black, I do like a little skim milk in iced coffee).
Drink. Feel cooler.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, lovely post! I love iced drinks in the summer! Nothing's better than a cool, yummy caffeine boost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iced coffee, the ONLY way I like it ;) Aubrey and I have a couple of those cups with the screw on lids and straws -- aren't they the best!! You can't spill anything out of them if you try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I usually just make regular coffee and chill it overnight, but I will have to try this too! My fav is putting coffee in my ice cube trays too so it doesnt get watered down :)
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Thai Iced coffee - all of that lovely consensed milk making the coffee all sweet and gooey...... totally yum! - Thanks for sharing the recipe, I may just add the condensed milk to mine x

    ReplyDelete