Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Ballad of the Salad...



A few weeks ago, my Jane friend visited and inspired me by making fresh salads with lots of ingredients and making homemade salad dressings. After she left I continued the tradition and have enjoyed it so much. I have also switched from using prepackaged lettuces to buying real live romaine lettuce that I cut up myself. I know it doesn't sound so dramatic, but let me tell ya, it tastes way better, fresher and crisper.
I have been adding sliced radish, shallots,carrots,walnuts,avocado,blue cheese or feta cheese and making my own dressing by mixing 3 parts extra virgin olive oil, 1 part organic apple cider vinegar, a squeeze of lemon or lime, salt and pepper and some honey to balance the tartness. Just use any empty glass jam jar or something so you can shake to mix it. The possibilities are endless. Just look up some ideas online or invent your own combinations.
Spring and summer are the perfect time to add a filling, nutritious and delicious salad to accompany a main dish, or add grilled chicken to make it more of a meal in itself!

1 comment:

  1. My mom has been making the apple cider vinegar dressing for a while now and I on my SCD diet it is the only easy one I can have! Such a great tangy recipe!

    ReplyDelete