Sunday, July 11, 2010

a ground hog, two deer and delicious brunch





Today my husband and I were trying to figure out where to go for lunch and after tossing a few ideas back and forth, we decided to go to Sunday Brunch at Lake Guntersville State Park Lodge, a little less than an hour away. We had never been there but our neighbors told us that the food looked delicious when they walked through it and the view was amazing. All along I thought it was this place that you could see from the main road through town, since there was picturesque water all around, but it was 8 miles off that road in an even more beautiful setting. The lodge looked like a nice hunting lodge and the brunch buffet was quite tasty! It included prime rib and homemade mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon in it, along with pork, chicken, catfish,fresh sauteed vegetables and beef tips that melted in your mouth. For dessert I had a big piece of lemon layer cake that looked like something from a story book. I am such a sucker for cake, I think I will never be skinny, but will have to settle for a little less chubby! (I have exercised three times this week so far and expect to do it today as well)
The vista from the patio outside the Lodge was breathtaking, the photos don't really do it justice, and there was a little ground hog just grazing away just below. When we were driving through the park to explore the cabins, chalets and swimming area, we saw two deer jumping across the road into the woods and I managed to snag a few shots.
I LOVE DEER! And groundhogs remind me of woodchucks that made daily appearances on my grandpa's farm when I was little!
I think I am in love with Alabama's State Parks and will continue to fantasize about having a retro trailer someday to visit them all!

7 comments:

  1. that is a lovely view. i love to explore back roads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't take a picture of the cake???

    My heart just broke into a million pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Sounds like you had a wonderful day exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe someday Chriss and I can join you and Ray for a Sunday Brunch there, it sounds so good (well, everything except the catfish). Love the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful...brunch is just the best, isn't it! Beautiful pics of the landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love road trips like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nothing like good food with an amazing view! and it sounds and looks like you had both!

    ReplyDelete